Since 1976, Capitol Hill Housing (CHH) has worked alongside the community to build and preserve housing affordable to working families and promote the qualities that make Seattle a vibrant and engaged city. Today, we provide secure, affordable homes to over 2,200 of our neighbors across the city while working to make our neighborhoods safer, healthier and more equitable. We are a top performing, high-capacity not-for-profit corporation with an innovative portfolio of 49 buildings throughout the Seattle area. Our buildings have won numerous awards from HUD, Urban Land Institute, Affordable Housing Finance Magazine, Future wise and other community development awards.
Capitol Hill Housing offers employees working 30 hours or more per week a very competitive package of benefits:
- Full medical, dental and vision coverage for the employee at no charge
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- 11 paid holidays
- Transit benefits
- Sick leave
- 22 days of PTO in the first year and 2 personal days annually
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending plans
- Deferred compensation plan and retirement contribution
Capitol Hill Housing offers employees working less than 30 hours a week prorated sick, PTO, and holiday benefits.
The Accounts Payable Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for the day-to-day upkeep of entering expenses, disbursing them for approval, interacting with vendors, and running the weekly check run. The Staff Accountant maintains vendor relationships and works closely with the Accounting Managers, Accountants, Site and Portfolio Managers to help ensure that expenses are tracked accurately. This position must maintain a high level of integrity and attention to detail.
We are intentional in our hiring processes, seeing it as a chance to interrupt the cycle of racial and economic injustice that limits communities from accessing employment, building skills and investing in their own leadership development. We prioritize applicants who have firsthand experience in navigating the many systems that our residents face which impede their opportunities for success, as majority low-income, LGBTQ, and people of color.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all CHH Accounting policies and procedures are documented and upheld.
- Code and enter Accounts Payable invoices into Concur by entity, site, vendor and project.
- Route invoices through Concur to appropriate staff for approval.
- Handle imports from Concur into Abila (formally Sage MIP) accounting software.
- Prepare Journal entries for AP accruals as needed.
- Work with Accounting Manager and Staff Accountant to process invoice payments in a timely fashion.
- Reconcile vendor accounts and work with accounting team to manage vendor accounts.
- Monthly import and reconciliation of credit card expense reports through Concur.
- Work with all staff to ensure timely submission of all credit card reports.
- Enter cash disbursement transactions in financial software for auto and online payments.
- Assist with audit preparation and reporting for AP transactions.
- Provide timely responses and resolutions to accounting team for reconciliations.
- Cross-train with teammates and provide backup and support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 Year degree in Accounting or related field or 2+ years relevant work experience in finance/accounting.
- Standard business English, strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong MS Office skills (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Able to communicate effectively with people of diverse personalities, cultures and communication styles.
- Able to work with a complex chart of accounts including inter-company receivables/payables.
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot and solve problems independently.
- Experience in affordable housing, property management or non-profit accounting.
- Experience with Abila (formerly Sage MIP) fund accounting software.
- Experience with Boston Post or other database property management software.
- Experience with SAP Concur.
Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Capitol Hill Housing. Capitol Hill Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.